Saturday, February 26, 2011

Planning gone awry

It has been a while since I've written on here, and mainly because I've allowed myself to get caught up in a whirlwind of perfection. Surprised? Probably not. But I spent a good part of the last 2 weeks focusing (correction: obsessing) on my role as a homemaker and a teacher to my children (mainly just one little guy right now). I became so consumed with things for a few days that I found my times in prayer distracted and disjointed - all because my thoughts and my "devotion" were on something else.

Then I read Colossians 2:8-10..."See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ....in Him you have been made complete."

Its not that the things I was focusing on were deceiving or even worldly-focused. I've been spending a lot of time researching and in the beginning stages of creating/finding a teaching plan for Pumpkin (my 3 yrd old) since I'll be a full-time SAHM (stay-at-home-mom). The ideas and curriculum we will be mainly using is written by a Christian missionary SAHM and her curriculum both is based on and focuses on Christ. BUT, for a few days I was so consumed with things that it was in a sense taking me captive. Anything, even good things, can take us captive when they rise above Christ. When you base your identity, your worth, your time, etc. etc. on something other than Christ, it becomes empty deception.

"In Him you have been made complete"....Wow. Can we just stop and read that again? "In Him you have been made complete." There, I made your read it again :) Oh how I hope your soul leaps for joy when you read that as mine did and continues to every time I read it. Note: It doesn't say "perfect", it says "complete". No, unfortunately we won't be perfect until the day Christ returns (see Philippians 1:6). But we are complete! You, just as the Lord made you, are complete if you know Christ. You don't have to strive to be someone you aren't. You don't have to strive to be super-teacher or super-mom or super-worker or super-_______. No, you are already complete in Christ because HE has filled you with all you need for life and godliness (1 Peter 1:3).

Oh how the Lord is so gracious, compassionate and patient with me. Does anyone know where I can get "D.W.M." tattooed on my forehead?? Well, I guess then I wouldn't see it. I pray that the Lord would tattoo it on my heart! Just like a real tattoo, its a painful process but permanent in the end.

I pray that whenever you, whoever you are, read this post that you will spend a few minutes just contemplating on the profound truth that if you know Christ, know him as your Savior and Lord, that you are complete in Him. And then, praise Him! Throw off the lies that are hindering you and telling you that you aren't ______ enough. You are enough just as you are because you are filled with the Savior of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment