Tuesday, January 18, 2011

She does exist! At least in plastic...

I bet it won't be a surprise to anyone who reads this but did you know that there is a Barbie Mommy Doll? She is actually part of the set appropriately (or idealistically) named Barbie Happy Family Set, complete with the whole happy family made up of Ken, baby and Barbie herself. Well, in some of them there are a few kids in the mix but nonetheless, she does exist. I wondered if there was this morning as I found myself, once again, wanting to be perfect mommy. I usually walk down this dead-end road when the d.w.m. isn't fully in place for the day. Although a dead-end road, its a road I think many moms try out. We try to do it all, starting at 7 am and hoping we can make it to the 9 or 10 pm bedtime. We try and keep the house spotless, fix healthy and delicious meals 3 times a day, play with our children while teaching them their letters, numbers, manners, etc., keep up on the latest with our friends, start and finish those new Martha Stewart-like projects, knit an afghan in a day, and have dinner on the table by the time our husband gets home! Phew! I'm exhausted just writing all that. Yet, that ideal still drives me throughout the day. Well, maybe not the afghan part but most of the other stuff is true, and usually some other ridiculous things thrown in the mix. Its not a wonder that I find myself all around worn out, frustrated, and feeling like a failure. I won't get into the myriad of reasons why I, and countless other moms, tend to go down this road - at least not today. :)

No, today I want to just rest. Not analyze, just rest. I am going to choose to cling to Matthew 11:28, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

To my dear friends that are soon-to-be mommies in the next 2 months or next 2 yrs, Barbie Mommy will haunt you time and time again. She will tell you that it can be done, that you too can do it, if you just try hard enough. But, as you know, she is just plastic. She was made by Mattel, not God. And you cannot do it all. You will mess up, you will make mistakes as a mommy, the house will sometimes be a mess, dinner won't always be ready, and you won't always look like you showered and put makeup on (most likely cause you didn't because you were busy changing diapers and cleaning up spit-up). But that is O.K. Enjoy the chaos, the lessons learned, the less-than-perfection state of things. And most importantly, find your rest in Him, in Jesus Christ alone. Not your husband, not your children, not your projects, work, or hobbies. Only He will give you rest, rest that everyone, especially mommies need.


Remember, enjoy your Creator and throw Barbie Mommy out because in reality, her smile is only painted on. Yours will be real and lasting.



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom with all the mommy-to-be's out there :)

    ReplyDelete