Wednesday, February 22, 2012

29 in 40

I have exactly 40 days until I'm 29 years old. What's significant about 40 days or 29 yrs old? Nothing really - only that it helps me have some rough plan or framework or goal. So what am I doing with these next 40 days? By the Lord's grace and strength, and hopefully, all for his glory its my 40 days of self-discipline. It's a theme I've felt pressed upon me by the gentle yet firm hand of the Lord for the last 8 weeks or so. I so much want to instill that virtue in my children -self-discipline, self-control. Yet, how can I teach them that if my own life does not embrace that and exemplify that trait? And I know that the Lord designed each one of us to be self-controlled and self-disciplined because he tells us that in 2 Timothy 1:7. It just takes our part too as we train in that. Well, they say it takes 30 days or something like that to make a certain thing a habit. Well, I'll be generous and give myself 40 days. Maybe it won't necessarily be a habit but I pray that the Lord would use these next 40 days to train me in being more self-disciplined. I plan to use this blog to chronicle the next 40 days and share whatever it is that day that I am doing on this journey of self-discipline. As I am praying through this some goals come to mind...
  • 40 days of being in the Word first thing in the morning....yes, that may mean getting up at 7 am or earlier and yes, that may mean even getting up when I've been up all night with sick kids (side note: I know at times we just need to give ourselves grace and sometimes the most godly thing we can do is get some sleep. But, for me at least, in this season, I tend to err more on the side of sleeping when I really just need to renew my mind and chew on the Word of God first thing in the morning. Plus, I'm only doing this for 40 days. After that, sure, there may be mornings where I choose to sleep in)
  • 40 days of being more intentional in my children's lives...reading to them, fun and new activities, devos, sharing scripture with them
  • 29 days of exercising - well I have to be honest with myself. 40 days of exercising would just NOT happen and would also not be the best for my body....so its 29 since I'm turning 29 in 40 days. 
  • 29 memorized verses...again, 40 verses in 40 days? I could do it, sure. But I don't want to miss the point or check a box when learning the precious words of God. I want to savor that sweet honey he has freely given us through His word. 
So, whoever may read this, feel free to check in with me, keep me accountable, or even perhaps join me in something similar. In the words of Peter Pan, "Here we go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment